Learning Target: I can examine and describe the properties of soils, including color, texture, capacity to retain water and ability to support the growth of plants.
Think about these questions today as we review what we know about the Sun, moon, and Earth:
- Why is soil important?
- What does soil consist of?
- What properties of soil make it good for growing plants? serving as the foundation to a building?
- Why do some soils contain more organic materials?
- How do soils differ in different ecosystems?
- Fast Pass (Brainstorming Team Activity)
- What do you know about soil?
- Where do you see soil?
- What does soil do?
- What is soil made of?
- What are some properties of soil?
Read to Learn:
- StemScopes 4.7a: Properties of Soil
- Article: Soil Properties That Affect Growth of Plants
- Website: All About Soil
- Website: What is Soil?
- Website: Soil Glossary
- Video: Sinkhole (1/2 min.)
- Video: Soil–Who Needs it? (14 min.)
- Video: PBS Nova: Sinkholes (53 min.)
- Video: Sinkhole Swallows Trees (3 min.)
- Video: Sinkhole on Highway (2 min.)